Sunday 15 November 2009

Is Fame and Fortune really worth it?

These days, you only have to ask a group of youngsters what they want to be when they are older, and you can guarantee that, instead of "Doctor" or "Lawyer," many of them will reply "Singer," "Actor," or some other form of celebrity.


But all you have to do is open a newspaper to see that this sort of life isn't for everyone.
We are all aware of the very public, drug-addled life of Amy Winehouse, and Britney Spear's Head-shaving breakdown.
But what about the things that go on behind the scenes? The secrets, lies and malicious gossip that the media will literally run each other down to get their grubby hands on first?

Google any celebrity, and 99% of the results will contain some form of gossip or rumour about their private life that the media have taken and blown way out of proportion. Try it. It was doing this that inspired me to write this article. Whilst searching for news on the DVD release date of the new Twilight film, New Moon, I came across several conflicting stories from supposed "Reputable Sources" claiming that the films co-stars, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were a couple, confirmed, on the 13th November by "someone who worked with them on the set of New Moon", which was followed quickly by denials from both Rob and Kristen. Next were stories, which had made it to many glossy magazines all over the world, saying that they were a couple, saying Kristen had even broke up with her boyfriend to be with Rob, but he had dumped her for his co-star in his new film, Remember Me, Emilie de Ravin. Another "Source" told OK! magazine that it was KRISTEN that dumped ROB, claiming Kristen had felt "smothered" and "pressured," due to Rob's apparent talk about marriage.
But the worst, for those involved, was the rumour that Kristen Stewart was pregnant with Robert Pattinson's baby, as initially reported in an Australian tabloid. Both furiously denied the rumour, and it was reported that Kristen, when told of the rumours by a friend on Twitter, replied "You're F***ing joking!"
Most would argue that celebrities choose the life they lead, and they should expect this sort of thing. But I beg to differ. Although it is nice to know that even celebrities have flaws and issues, the tabloids take this to such an extreme, fighting tooth and nail so they can get the next "exclusive." And, although the tabloids are the ones that publish this shit, the public are partially to blame too. I absolutely detest gossip and rumours, but I will still look at an article about someone that has caught my eye. The difference, though, is that I don't idolise and worship people that, at the end of the day, are only doing their job. I respect them, and willingly enjoy the work they do, but I don't feel any need to go traipsing all over the world stalking them, hoping for a glimpse of them coming out of a club or restaurant. I was lucky enough to be working for a local newspaper when Nick Love's "Outlaw" was being filmed in my local area. Being the one in the editorial team with the most interest and knowledge of the film industry, I was sent to meet some of the actors and talk to them about the film. Sat with three other journalists in a cold warehouse, I was within feet of Sean Bean, Danny Dyer and Lennie James. Yes, I was a little star-struck - after all, it doesn't happen in my little town very often, but I pride myself on the fact that I conducted myself in a highly professional manner, and at no point felt the need to jump across the table and touch them. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and being only 18 at the time, I know I was very lucky to have been given such an opportunity. But speaking to them, you realise that they are only human. We had a laugh, we got our story, (and I admittedly had my photo taken with Danny Dyer, which he signed for me), but they were incredibly down to earth and humble people.
Several interviews with Rob Pattinson have revealed that he has considered giving up the industry, and he is uncomfortable being held with such high regard. Girls throw themselves at him, and he has been voted the sexiest man on the planet, but through all this, he manages to remain a private person. Let it stay that way. No celebrity, except attention grabbing whores like Jordan, deserve to have their dirty laundry aired all over the world. So what if they are in a relationship with a co-star? So what if they are having a child? So what if they break up? It is their private life! A relationship is hard enough for anyone, without the whole world knowing every intimate detail about it.
And I won't even start on all these obnoxious little "Fan-girls" who practically mob young actors, like Rob, or Harry Potter star, Daniel Radcliffe.
They are doing their job, just like everyone else.
And yes, I am excited about going to see New Moon, and will buy it on DVD. I enjoyed the books, and I enjoyed the first film. That doesn't mean I am going to scream the cinema down whenever the good-looking guys come one the screen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment