Friday 15 May 2009

My Top 5 Song Covers

Here are my favourite 5 cover-versions. I'm not saying these are THE BEST covers, I'm simply saying they are MY favourites, so I don't want any emails saying that I have shit taste, blah, blah, blah.

1. Paint It Black - Within Temptation (Original by The Rolling Stones) - Album Release: (unknown)


Having grown up listening to The Rolling Stones, I like the majority of their songs. However "Paint it Black" has always been a favourite. I have heard many covers of this song, but none of them compare to Within Temptation






2. Bohemian Rhapsody (Live at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, 1992) - Queen, Elton John, Axl Rose (Original by Queen) - Album Release: Not Released


I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard this until it was pointed out to me when discussing this post. I listened to it several times, and was amazed. It is a fantastic cover, and it's nice to hear Axl Rose doing something other than whining and bitching. He has an excellent voice, and it is put to good use on this track. Not sure how they got Elton John and Axl Rose to work together (Diva alert!!) but it works!!




3. Don't Ask Me No Questions - Chris Cagle (From Blue Collar Comedy Tour - The Movie) - (Original by Lynyrd Skynyrd) - Album Release: Blue Collar Comedy Tour The Movie Soundtrack


Okay, chances are, if you live outside of the United States, you probably haven't heard of Chris Cagle OR Blue Collar Comedy Tour, as neither are well known here in the UK. However, if you get the chance, watch it. This is an excellent cover of the original, especially if you're a fan of up-beat, country style music.





4. Enjoy The Silence - Lacuna Coil (Original by Depeche Mode) - Album Release: Karmacode


I remember when the original of this was playing in all the clubs in Ibiza. However, I never liked it....until I heard it on Karmacode. It quickly became one of my favourite Lacuna Coil songs. Cristina Scabbia's vocals rip this song beautifully into the world of Goth Metal.





5. (Don't Fear) The Reaper - HIM (Original by Blue Oyster Cult) Album Release: Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666


"(Don't fear) The Reaper," by Blue Oyster Cult has always been one of my favourite songs, and HIM one of my fave bands. So when I came across this cover, I HAD to have it. It underwent an amazing transformation into metal, with the heavy distortion on the guitar, and Ville Valo's mesmerising vocals.





1 comments:

Simon S. said...

Axl Rose and Elton John are good mates. They have been for a while before the FMT shows (20 APR 1992) Elton Even played the piano for Guns at the 1992 Video Music Awards on the 9th of September 1992. While that preformance is not availible to buy on CD, there is several cd bootlegs of the entire concert out and about on the net.It is also on several dvds that you can pick up.

Number 3 though i totaly aggree. IIRC we borrowed the dvd off you a while ago.

Post a Comment